Some significant dates in our Parish History:
1877 Our Parish was established with Rev. Joseph J. Coughlin as Pastor. Boundaries extended from the Great South Bay on the south to the Huntington Town line on the north.
1878 Our first Church - a simple wooden structure - was erected on the north side of Grove Place. The Parish community was small and religious instructions were held in the basement of the church.
1911 Rev. James J. Higgins was appointed Pastor. Groundbreaking was held for the new church, which is our present church.
1912 On July 28, the first Mass was held in the new church. It was the only church of its kind in the United States because of its unique all-brick structure.
1919 Msgr. James F. Casey was appointed Pastor. A new organ was added.
1925 Plans began for a Parochial School.
1927 St. Joseph School is opened. The Sisters of Mercy from Dallas, Pennsylvania staffed grades 1 through 5.
1931 Rev. Ulick O’Sullivan Buckley was appointed Pastor.
1932 The northwest section of the Parish was given to the newly formed Parish in Wyandanch, Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.
1937 The section of the Parish north of the Southern State Parkway was given to the newly formed Parish of Sts. Cyril & Methodius in Deer Park.
1940 Msgr. Joseph I. Foley was appointed Pastor. Bingo was introduced to the Parish.
1950 St. Joseph School enrollment was increasing. A Parish Fund Drive was planned.
1950 Msgr. Peter L. Nolan was appointed Pastor.
1954 Extension to the school was completed. A Boys Department was added and staffed by the Franciscan Brothers.
1954 The Madonna Room was dedicated. The Madonna Room became the scene for weekly dances for the 18 and over crowd.
1955 Part of the Parish in West Islip and in Babylon north of the Sunrise Highway became part of the newly formed Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes. During the 1950’s and 1960’s parish enrollment was at a high of 5,500.
1962 St. Joseph Parish was sectioned off again. The most western area became part of the new Parish of Our Lady of Grace.
1972 St. Joseph continued to expand, necessitating the building of a new auditorium, additional classrooms and a cafeteria.
1974 Rev. John J. Gorman was appointed Pastor. Msgr. Nolan became Pastor Emeritus. The new auditorium was dedicated in his honor.
1984 Rededication of St. Joseph Church.
1990 Rev. Donald M. Hanson was appointed Pastor.
1991 St. Joseph Parochial School was closed.
1992 Rev. Ronald A. Richardson was appointed Pastor.
1993 St. Joseph Parish Center was dedicated. Parish offices were moved from the rectory to the new center. Parish opened the St. Joseph’s Thrift Shop.
1995 The Friary became the Virdone Residence for mentally challenged working adults. St. Joseph Church sign was placed on front lawn.
1997 An elevator was installed in the Parish Center making the building accessible to all.
1998 Rev. John J. Barrett was appointed Pastor. The church roof was restored to its original Spanish tile.
1999 In partnership with Catholic Charities, the former convent provided temporary housing for refugees from Kosovar.
2000 A ramp was installed making the Nursery School handicapped accessible. The O'Connell Room and Kelly Plaza were dedicated. Two meditative gardens were constructed - one in the parish cemetery; one at the entrance to the Chapel.
2001 The new Hospitality Center and handicapped accessible restrooms were opened. New signage was installed throughout the facilities. The Church and O'Connell Room/Hispanic Chapel were air conditioned.
2004 Msgr. Christopher J. Heller was appointed Pastor.
2006 The Parish contracted with the Gallup Organization's Faith Practices Division to increase members' engagement in Parish Life.
2008 The Parish launches a Welcoming Committee with a parish welcome packet given to all newcomers.
2009 A new mission statement is created:
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church. A Roman Catholic Community of Christ's Disciples.
We Welcome. We Worship. We Witness.
2011 The Parish launches our Centennial year celebration in June, kicking off a year of special events as we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the construction of our Church building, including a successful capital improvements campaign.
2012 - 2014 As part of our capital campaign effort, the stained glass windows in the Church were restored.
2016 Rev. Charles N. Mangano was appointed Pastor.